Wednesday, August 17, 2011

My Lovely Wall Art!

This project is by far the most time consuming DIY project I have taken on so far. When I first saw this idea on Jennifer's blog, "Life, Crafts, & Whatever", I thought it would be an easy, inexpensive way to spruce up my bare living room walls. Boy, was I wrong. Not only did this cost much more than I intended, it took forever!


Did you guess what this lovely is made out of? If you guessed paint chips, you're right! I felt like a shoplifter taking hundreds of paint chips from Wal-Mart with no intention of actually buying the paint, but it was worth it when I saw the finish project. So how did I create this unique art?
1. I cut up each individual paint chip to the same size (I don't remember the exact size...but if I did it again I would have been a bigger perfectionist and measured so there weren't half squares at the bottom and spaces on the side. Oh well, it makes it unique!)
2. Using spray adhesive, I glued the chips on a blank canvas one by one. (That stuff smells horrible!)
3. After all the chips were stuck on, I applied 3 coats of Mod Podge to seal those bad boys on good.
4. I used a regular ol' furniture stain and quickly stained over the top to create a more "weathered" look.
5. I didn't like the sides of the canvas being plain white, and the stain didn't darken it enough, so I just painted all the edges with a dark brown fabric paint.

My creation doesn't look nearly as perfect and pretty as the one I stole the idea from, but I like it kind of imperfect...it's more me :)




Another project I did with the intention of going along with my paint chip art were these little lovelies:


Simply canvas covered in scrapbook paper, layers of Mod Podge, some more of the dark brown furniture stain, and that's it.


I intended on hanging these randomly around the other wall art, but I'm considering either scattering them on another wall or setting them on the ledge we have over our kitchen cabinets - I can't decide. The colors of our kitchen/living room are green, orange, and brown so I went with that theme and created six of these, two in each color scheme. To make it look prettier, I could have only put the scrapbook paper on the front and painted around the edges, but that seemed so tedious that I figured this would work just as well.
I got this idea from a different blog, but I feel horrible that I can't give her credit because for some reason I didn't bookmark it!


I have a couple more projects I did in the past few weeks that I'll be sharing soon, so don't forget to follow me! Also, go check out this fantastic blog:


 
 
'Til next time...


 


*These pictures were taken by my lovely friend Bailey! :)

1 comment:

  1. Awww, thanks for linking up! I think yours is fantastic, spaces and half squares and all! I always tell hubby that mistakes are character, damnit. :) And thanks for a great idea on the scrapbook paper! I'll have to add that one to the to do list!

    ReplyDelete